Tuesday, April 22, 2014

RESULTS for BATTLE OF THE BANDS XVIII Tough Guys and Tunes






BATTLE OF THE BANDS XVIII OR Show Me Your Tunes, was really fun, at least for me. There was a whole lot of love/hate expressed for those tough guys who really can’t sing, but give it what they got anyway, and croon from the heart. If you come around here often, or follow my votes at the other BATTLE OF THE BANDS participants, you would know exactly how my vote would lean.

That last sentence reminds me of something I want to ask and talk about for a minute. Please bear, or should that be bare, with me. My questions is; why don’t you guys click the link I give you and go on over to Mr. McCarthy's site and vote there also? Once at his place, he provides a link to other sites also participating in these bi-monthly BATTLES, and you can vote all through the game. Some of you are incredibly loyal to BOTB, so I have to figure you enjoy it, therefore why not quadruple or quintuple your enjoyment (there are usually four or five participants) and vote all around. ANYWAY…I’M JUST WONDERING. 
Let me know in the comment box what ya think.

OK, back to PAINT YOUR WAGON, I promised some fun facts. It was over budget, overdue, and suffered many delays. Some of the delays were attributed to Mr. Marvin’s drinking and inability to, ah um…perform. It was stated that quite possibly it also added to his performance. Whoever knows if those are ‘urban myths’ used to hype the film, or real truths. Something that has been reported in several locations is that Marvin was originally cast to play Pike Bishop in ‘The Wild Bunch’ (a role later played by William Holden), but had a falling out with director Sam Peckinpah and pulled out in order to star in ‘Paint Your Wagon’. Whoa! That was quite a switch.

I’m sure a musical ‘oater’ starring two ‘tough guys’ like Eastwood and Marvin proved to be a disappointment to a whole lot of folks. Thanks to the ‘Beer Boys’ over at A Beer for the Shower I was treated to one real man’s extreme disappointment:


Many of you expressed your sentiments that although Lee Marvin really couldn’t sing he did express the feeling of the song better. I think Susan Kane summed it up nicely when she said: ‘Lee Marvin delivers the angst, passion, and rawness.

If you haven’t guessed by now, my vote goes to Lee Marvin. He is definitely one of my favorite ‘tough guys’. Sure he can’t ‘really sing’, but maybe that adds an element of reality to this silly, over the top depiction of the wild west, gold fever, mining towns. Maybe because he doesn’t have the range of a Robert Goulet it’s exactly like Susan says, and he delivers more feeling. I don’t know for sure. I do know that his delivery appeals to me, and it did to most of you.

The final tally, including my vote:
               
                 Lee Marvin         13 votes
                Robert Goulet       7 votes

 I had a record 18 votes on this BOTB (yes, I can add. One of you voted for both, so I counted it that way). Thank you all for your loyalty and support. Now, keep coming back here and voting, but also PLEASE visit the other participants and vote there also.

I do want to add that it is my opinion Robert Goulet has a great voice, and has done a great job on this tune, as well as many other Broadway hits, but I just don’t get the same feeling from his rendition here.

If you follow me regularly and listen to some of my exploits, you’ll also realize that; I was in fact, born under a wanderin’ star.

I’ll be Back on May 1st with BATTLE OF THE BANDS XIX. I have a special surprise for you then.

41 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll you know Homer. Actually I've never seen a whole episode of The Sumpsons. This clip is pretty good and really nails it in 'Paint Your Wagon'.

      Delete
  2. I, too, was born under a wanderin' star, til I found the home I'd been looking for. Thanks for all the extra details re the music. I do enjoy following the BOTBs, and I do click on the other links. However, if they haven't got it posted early in the day, I might miss it. Keep BOTBs alive until the music runs out or you get bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DG. You are, in fact, one loyal follower, who has stuck with us all.

      Delete
  3. Ha! That Simpsons clip was... GREAT!

    I also love Lee Marvin, just not as a "singer" - he tends to miss some spots... er, I mean "notes"! He tends to miss some notes.

    But Lee was in some fantabulous movies like 'Monte Walsh' and 'The Dirty Dozen' (one of the very few War movies I really like).

    Well, gotta hit the sack for a few hours because that graveyard shi(f)t isn't going to work itself... unfortunately.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest well.

      Thank Bryan and Beandin for leading me to that clip. It is pretty funny!

      Delete
  4. The clip was hilarious.

    Guess I need to watch the movie and hear Lee Marvin in context. Maybe I'd have a better opinion.

    We need more voters for sure or at least the loyal regulars to keep coming back. Don't know if it's the time investment of watching the videos that deters people, but it's fun so I hope people keep coming back. Tell your friends and relatives.

    A surprise? How exciting!

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should add it to your Netflix, you might enjoy it, especially if you enjoy musicals more today.

      Delete
  5. hahaha awesome clip, simpsons can do somethings right I guess. A surprise you say, hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That clip is pretty funny, isn't it?

      You'll have to check back and get SURPRISED!

      Delete
  6. Why, thanks, Arlee!! You do me honor.

    You just never know what will come from the Simpsons. This time it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan, I hope your still honored, but you're at Far Away Eyes, not Arlee's site. No worries,it's all good.

      That Simpsons clip was pretty funny!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. You know, I've never seen a full episode of The Simpsons. That clip was left for me in the comment box on the original BOTB post, it was so funny, I had to use it here.

      Delete
  8. Yeah...I'm kinda limited on my blogging time, so I usually only visit my friendlies--not that I'm opposed to making new ones, but I like the ones I'm currently invested in. ;) (There. Is that a good enough answer for you?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Crystal, I really appreciate your comment. So far you're the only one who told me WHY. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Glad the vote went to Lee Marvin's version. I remember that scene in the movie and I still can hear his off-key, amazing voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see above, he was my choice too.

      Delete
    2. I think he and Johnny Cash share the voice gene. And how successful that was!

      Delete
  10. Interesting match-up. "My guy" won this time, but it could have gone either way. Thanks for the fun on this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clip! Leave it to the B. Boys to unearth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where they find these things, I don't know, but I'm glad they do.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I kind of thought so too, but with these BATTLES, you never really know.

      Delete
  13. Ha, I'm just glad to see that Simpsons clip mentioned on here. And while Lee wasn't my vote, I guess he still deserves to win. Anyone who can sing like that and still somehow remain a badass, at the very least, does have my respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost everybody commented on that clip. Thanks to you boys for leading me to it.

      Delete