Thursday, May 21, 2015

BATTLE OF THE BAND RESULTs - IT'S 'About Time' - WOULDN'T YA SAY?






Hey Gang, it’s ‘About Time’ I post the results for BATTLE OF THE BANDS. (I love the ‘play on words’ I’ve been able to get out of this movie title.) The results of this BATTLE surprised me a little, but then THAT’S just typical of BOTB. You never really know what’s gonna happen.

Before we get onto the results I have a little housekeeping that I need to take care of, OK?

There is a blogger that I know very well and trust. He is truly ‘one of the good guys’. This is DL Hammons. He’s running ‘Write Club’ again this year. As a matter of fact it’s happening right now. I suggest you stop on over and check it out. It’s a fun contest that has gotten bigger every year. I’m not participating as a contestant, but I have for the last three years, participated as one of the preliminary judges. It’s been a great opportunity for me. You can find DL HERE


Now that we have that out of the way ­­­­- onward and upward to BATTLE
OF THE BANDS Results.

If there’s one thing true and consistent about BOTB it’s that you never really know how they are going to turn out. I was pretty sure that Jon Boden would blow the socks off of Ellie Goulding, but not so. They were actually running neck and neck for quite some time. In the end there is only one winner and I’m kind of glad that I don’t have to be the ‘tie-breaker’ on this one.

A lot of you really liked Ellie’s voice and I can’t fault you there, although I’m not a fan of that breathy ‘little girl’ sound, most times. In the case of Ms. Goulding’s rendition of ‘How Long Will I Love You’, I have not a single complaint about her voice, but the tempo of the song is way too slow for my taste.

On the other hand the version by Jon Boden is upbeat, happy, and has that great Celtic sound backing it up. No doubt in my mind, this is where my vote lands.

The final tally is:

                Jon Boden          15 votes (including mine)
                Ellie Goulding      12 votes

In BATTLE OF THE BANDS, at least here at Far Away Series, there is no such thing as a wrong vote. It’s always a matter of personal taste and as some of you have stated, it might be your taste on that particular day or time of day.

I think this might have been a record number of votes here. I want each and every one of you to know that I truly appreciate your vote and continued support of BOTB.

Again, I want to welcome the three new participants who came on board this time. I hope you had fun with your BATTLES. It’s my opinion that all three were excellent debuts.

My Sheboygan Six directed me to a third version of this song by The Waterboys. I had never heard it before and although it is similar to Jon Borden’s, I agree that it is by far the superior version. I’ll leave it here for you to enjoy, should you so choose.



I’ll be back on June 1st with another BATTLE OF THE BANDS to thrill and excite you, I hope. Until that time…Happy Trails.

20 comments:

  1. The Water Boys' version is familiar. It almost sounds like the Beatles. My favorite ride is that tilt-a-whirl!

    That was pretty close battle, Fae! Now I need to see the movie. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie.

      The Beatles, hummm! I don't hear it, but then I never was a big Beatles fan.

      I highly recommend the movie. I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  2. The third version is a really good one, think I'd vote for that one over the other two. Tight race again at your sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I too would have voted for the version by The Waterboys.

      A tight race indeed and a surprise to me.

      Delete
  3. I figured that Boden would own this contest so I'm surprised to see Ellie get so much support. She was good, but not as fun as Boden's version. The Waterboys version is good, but I still think I prefer Boden's. Maybe I'd have to process this through a number of listenings, but Boden has a simpler more real sound to me.

    Excellent match of song versions, but I was most excited to see you feature the film About Time. I liked that film so much and it's worth being seen. I think the "time travel" concept might throw people off thinking it's some kind of Looper-like sci-fi film. The time travel is really only a plot device to tell a more wonderful story. I can't recommend this film highly enough and I was so happy to see you mention it in your post.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Road trippin' with A to Z
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. For awhile there Ellie was ahead, I think, and I was really shocked. Interesting that you call Boden's sound 'more real'. I actually think I would have vot4ed for The Waterboys over him. They may be a bit 'overproduced' but in this case; I like it.

      I'm with you on the movie. I really like it and can't promote it enough. I put this song forward as a BOTB mainly so I could plug the movie. It's one of my favorites.

      Delete
  4. Nice battle pretty close! I will check out The Write Club.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I like it when a BATTLE comes in close like this. In my mind it means I chose well and my commenters liked both versions.

      You might enjoy Write Club, please do give it a try.

      Delete
  5. I'm just checking in while I eat a bite of lunch. And then I'm off again. So many errands... so little time.

    I don't think I'll have time to listen to The Waterboys sings this song, but FAE... I like it!!! I'm not sure how I'd have voted had this one been in the race. I think this might've had my vote!

    Congrats on a record number of votes here. It was a close battle:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, I know the feeling and have to run out the door myself, today.

      This was a close BATTLE, to my great surprise, but once again; you'll never know how a BATTLE...blah, blah, blah. How many times we all gonna have to say that. Ha!

      Delete
  6. FAE ~
    I haven't listened to The Waterboys version yet, but I will.

    As soon as I can afford to reactivate my NetFlix account, I am going to put that movie at the top of my list. Maybe we can even TRT it, if Beer Brother Bryan is willing. It DOES sound like my kind of movie.

    I love time travel stuffs, just not SciFi, and by your description, this sounds like the first yet not so much the latter. I totally love the movie 'SOMEWHERE IN TIME' (one of my very favorite romance stories), which was time travel and romance yet mostly minus the science fiction.

    Really good, close Battle, FAE! You dun put together a goot one!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, Really, REALLY do think you';ll like the movie. I believe I may have recommended it to you a while back. I own it, so I'm happy to TRT it anytime. It has the same flavor as 'Somewhere in Time' another favorite of mine also. It really is NOT SciFiy at all. If you remember the comment Bryan left on the BOTB post, I think that's the problem all the 'real' SciFi fans had with it. Somehow in their minds the 'science' of it wasn't correct. SHEESH!

      One more time, once! I am really surprised at the outcome here. I was pretty sure Boden would have 'runt oft' with this one, but Miss Ellie did real fine. I like when that happens.

      Delete
  7. Close battle! I'm not a fan of breathy, girly voices and it's nice to see my choice won. ☺ That said, The Waterboys' version was even more to my liking and it definitely sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Debbi. It was close, much closer than I expected. I'm with you on The Waterboys. Had that been a part of the contest it would have had my vote, although, I can't say it sounds familiar. I was completely unaware of this song until the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I like the Waterboys version too! But Boden is still my favorite. I do so love the celtic sound. Maybe I should find some good Celtic music to feature in an upcoming battle. I remember walking around downtown in Austin and happening upon the annual Celtic Festival: I ended up buying 4 CDs that day so maybe I'll see if I can find something from who I discovered that day...
    Good battle! And thanks again for welcoming me into the fold. Love this group already!
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michele, I too really like that Celtic sound. There have been a few BATTLES in the past using variations on it, but there is always room for another. I bet you could find something great.

    See ya again on June 1st. I'm looking forward to seeing what you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Waterboys version is fantastic.

    I like Ellie's voice when she's not doing the breathy little girl thing. She's got a very strong voice... but you never would have known it from her version. So I'm glad to see Boden take the win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me so long to get this comment up. This 'Comment Moderation' is making me crazy, or should I say 'more crazy'.

      Yeah, I really liked 'The Waterboys' version and would have voted for it had it been in the running. Actually, I just took the two from the movie and pitted them against each other. Probably a good thing.

      I took your recommendation Bryan and saw Ex Machina. I was very good. I really enjoyed it. Yeah, the ending was not 'good' but when you try to play God, what do ya expect. Machines might be sentient, but the have no heart.

      Delete
  12. Not a huge fan of Ellie's singing voice per se, but her music has this haunting quality that's irresistible. Good to see you're still actively posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the Waterboys version too! Wow. Although I did like Ellie's too.

    ReplyDelete