Monday, August 24, 2015

APOLOGIES & bATTLE OF THE BANDS RESULTS






Apologies first; I said n my BOTB post that I would be back on the 21st to cast my vote and give you the results. Well, that didn't happen. I sincerely apologize to any of you who stopped by looking for that post. An even bigger apology to any of you who came back more than once looking for that post; yeah, like THAT happened. Anyway, I'm here today to tell you what did happen in this little BATTLE.

Shocked me all to pieces. I don't normally count the votes up before I'm ready to write my results post, but I was thinking that Allison was fairly well giving Dan quite a beating. Lo and behold when I counted up the votes it's a TIE! Imagine that?

So, it's gonna be up to me to cast my vote and break the tie.

You may have noticed on other BATTLES that I have mentioned I am not a big fan of Allison Krause. She does have a lovely voice, but it usually seems to not really fit what she is singing, to my ears. Anyway, I think this one was the exception. There was something about her voice that did lend itself beautifully to the melancholy piece, even if she had to change some of the lyrics to fit a female perspective.

I have been a Dan Fogelberg fan for a long time. I own several of his LP's on vinyl. Unfortunately, they reside in a storage locker in Idaho and I'm in Nevada (that could make some interesting lyrics). This particular song wasn't one of my favorites, nor do I think it was a major hit for Dan, but nonetheless it's beautiful, in a haunting, melancholy sort of way.

I sort of cheated when I chose this song. Remember, up there I told you that my Fogelberg collection of vinyl resides in Idaho, so I had kinda forgotten all about him. Also, I really wasn't aware of his music being regularly covered. Well, here's the sort of cheating part. A radio station out of Reno; The X at 100.1 FM does an afternoon contest called 'Under the Covers'. They play a cover of a song and then you call in and tell them who the original artist is. Yeah, about two weeks ago they played the Allison Krause version of 'Stars', and I was reminded of this beautiful song and Dan Fogelberg.

Now, my vote. Have you guessed? It goes to Dan Fogelberg breaking the tie and making him the winner of the BOTB. The final tally is:

     Dan Fogelberg                            11 votes (including mine)
     Allison Krause                            10 votes

This turned into quite the horse race, don't ya think?

Before I close here I want to say something. I don't know about anybody else who is playing BOTB, but my voting was down this time. What really disappointed me is the fact that several of the other participants didn't come by to vote at my space. I have a really tight schedule, but manage to make it around and vote at everyone else's BATTLE. That seems only right. I dunno, maybe it's just me.
 
Also, a special note to Alex J. Cavanaugh: I cannot comment at your site. I've left several comments and they never appear. If I've offended you in some way, (I'm thinking over this BATTLE OF THE BANDS vs Battle of the Banned thing), please let me know and I'll stop coming by. I notice you come by and comment here, so I'm more confused than normal.
 


 

22 comments:

  1. FAE ~
    That's my very favorite thing in BOTB. When you get to cast the last vote which breaks a tie and determines the winner. I love getting to be the person who decides the BOTB winner.

    It's a very rare circumstance, which makes it all the more fun when the situation does present itself. Have you gotten to do this before? (I think it's happened to me 2 or maybe 3 times in all of my 50 BOTB contests.)

    As far as I know, all of the current BOTBers made it by my blog to vote this time. But, yes, in the past, occasionally a few actual participants didn't show up and vote on my contest, and that's just WRONG! Unless there's some valid reason like a death in the family or a really severe hangover that lasts 6 days, there's no excuse for not finding 10 min over the course of a week to support your fellow BOTBers.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is kind of fun being able to cast the deciding vote. I may have had one tie before, but I'm not sure and don't have3 the time to back and search through my old BOTB's. It is rare, but you know I always say that IMO, the closer the BATTLE the better it was.

      Yeah, I realize that we are in the doldrums of summer and a lot of people are out of town, but I'm not talking about comments in general but, the other BOTBers who posted a BATTLE.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you can't comment! You have not offended me at all. Sorry if I've missed any of your posts. And the Battle of the Banned is just a fun thing Shady is doing and I decided to join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what that commenting thing is about. I'll keep trying and see what happens. @Pat Hatt - he says this seems to happen from time to time, so maybe it will clear itself up eventually.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Another tie! At least you were able to break the tie. I had one commenter on my results posting say she meant to come vote, but forget. Let that be a warning to everyone. Every vote counts! As for why some votes did not come in this round, I don't know. I noticed that too. Perhaps people have been on a time crunch. As Summer is winding down, people are spending their weekends getting as much in as possible. Also, having the battle fall on the weekend might have something to do with it too. Then perhaps people forget to stop back when the weekend is over? I am proud to say though, I make sure I visit every single BOTB / Banned participants and cast my vote. I also comment as often as possible. I'm anxious to see how BOTB evolves over the course of this next Winter.

    Keep up the good work you do here. Do worry about getting postings in late. When it falls on a weekend, I tend to post late as well. It's just something that happens and life takes first priority. As it should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey - three times now I have tried to reply to your comment. It's a sad day when 'Lord Google' won't let me comment at my own site. I cannot believe this. All I'm going to say this time around is thank you so much for your loyalty and support. Now, let's see if this one will publish.

      Delete
    2. Congrats on publishing your comment.
      ;)

      Delete
  4. This was a great battle and I'll try to never miss the vote! As I see it, you have the whole time period between battles to tally up, so you're not late at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say Cherdo, you are pretty reliable with your voting both here and at all the other BOTB sites. I for one appreciate that.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, darlin'....I try.

      Delete
  5. A good end indeed. A little cheating never hurt anyone lol sometimes comments just don't appear on some sites for some reason, it has been going around. Weird indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat, thanks for that info. I'm glad to know it's not only me.

      Delete
  6. A good contest, I voted for Alison, but I like her singing other songs a lot better. So I'm glad it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I enjoy being the one to cast that deciding vote.

      Delete
  7. Another tie, wow! Great battle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you made the right choice but as you know from my comment on the contest I'm a bit biased. However I think the closeness of the race was warranted because both versions are very capable and pleasing to the ears.

    As far as the commenting I think the end of the summer energy has waned. My votes were down a bit as well even with my own cut back on posting, but a lot of that is probably due to my own cutting back on visiting other blogs and leaving comments.

    Let's see what fall brings. I'm hoping that my own energy gets recharged as well as that of other bloggers. Honestly though, I'm starting to reevaluate my own activities in blogging. There are other things that I need to get done that I've been totally neglecting in favor of blogging. It's a dilemma.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, as I said; although I'm not a big fan of Allison Krause, I did enjoy her version of Stars, but not enough to edge out Dan.

      One more time ----I get what you're saying about the end of summer and all that jazz. I too am having a hard time getting around to the blogs I like to read, but I'm specifically talking about others who are participating in BOTB. I've notices for several BATTLES now that some sites are really neglected and not all the participants got around and vote. When it happened here, I decided to mention it. It seems the least we could do is to support each other.

      I think reevaluating blogging time is a good thing for everyone. I know myself, I'm finding it harder and harder to get around and comment and even read the blogs I enjoy. There is simply not enough time. I only post BOTB and the results anymore, myself and I'm having a hard time getting those posts up on time. YIKES!

      Delete
  9. Hi Fae. The internet and I have been estranged for close to three months. What can I say? I was exhausted and something had to go.I appreciate the concern from you and other BoTB participants. Hopefully I can catch up, maybe post up in two days from now. I'll give my best shot. And, FYI, I would have chosen Dan too :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dixie, glad to see you making a come back. Sometimes a break is good for many reasons, but your health has to come first. It's important we each go at our own pace and only do what's best for ourself.

    ReplyDelete