Sunday, May 22, 2016

My Perrsonal YELLOW BRICK ROAD and BOTB RESULTS



This has been my very favorite BATTLE OF THE BANDS for a number of reasons. First, I really and truly love both versions. I’ve had a definite favorite and pretty much knew how I would vote from the beginning, but both versions are really very good.

With fifteen votes in, The Piano Guys had thirteen votes and One Republic had two. I was pretty sure I was headed for yet another blow out. I have felt for the last year that I really lost my touch with BOTB, and the BATTLES I was presenting weren’t really very competitive or GOOD, and this seemed to be just another miserable failure. But once again I was mistaken. The next few votes that rolled in were all for One Republic. While The Piano Guys did win this BATTLE handily, One Republic made a very respectable showing.

The final tally, including my vote:

        The Piano Guys                   18 votes including mine
        One Republic                      11 votes

I like the One Republic version and the lyrics definitely add something to the song, but the version by The Piano Guys is one I could put on repeat and listen to all day long. Of course, they cheated and threw in a little Beethoven for good measure and in my ears, something like that never hurts.

I do think that this BATTLE has been one of my most voted on with a total of twenty-eight votes being counted. Thank you all for your support and participation. You make my heart smile.

Daddy always told me to quit when I was ahead and while I have not always taken Daddy’s advice, he has always been right. So, that brings me to the next item on the agenda today.

THIS IS MY FAREWELL TO BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Truth be told, my heart just hasn’t been in it for the past year. It was about that time that I had a run in with another participant. I still couldn’t really explain to you what happened, but the end result left me reeling. Now, Daddy also told me that no one likes a complainer and I should never whine. Well, I’ve already told you my take on Daddy’s advice, but I do try not to whine. I also have learned that in this great cosmic sphere we call life, I am the odd ball. I don’t normally look at things the way the majority does. Don’t worry about that, because I like it that way, even if it does leave me scratching my head, and with severely ruffled feathers on numerous occasions.

Back at the very beginning of BOTB, I was personally against opening it up to general participation. Silly me. What was I thinking? This is the Internet and not my personal domain. In the end I was flattered that so many of you wanted to join this crazy idea of mine, and grateful that Mr. McCarthy talked some sense into me. Having said that I’m a tad disappointed with the competitive nature that has crept into BOTB. Again, no one, take offense. That’s just the odd ball in me speaking.

I know that Mr. McCarthy loves BOTB and he has done an excellent job of promoting it and keeping a list that everyone can find and locate all of the participants. This is what makes him Mr. BOTB. But you know it’s more than that. I think his love of music and willingness to be objective about different things (even though we all know that he has some very definite favorites and eclectic tastes) is what makes him the perfect host and LEADER OF THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS. No one will ever take HIS place.

I hope those of you who continue to participate keep having fun. When the fun stops it’s definitely time to turn to something else and that is exactly what I am doing.

I’m going to leave you with Jackson Browne and let him express some of my feelings. Please, if you have the time, listen to this video clip until it stops for at the end Mr. Browne expresses my feeling about all of you and BOTB.



Just so nobody hurts themselves trying to leave a comment, I want you to know I have turned the comment section off. I don’t believe in tributes or eulogies after the fact. If you love and enjoy someone tell them while they are around, not after they have departed. Also, I wouldn’t want to chance anyone leaving a ‘good riddance’ comment and know that is just as likely as some kind words.

Until we meet again…Happy Trails!