Wednesday, December 21, 2011

December 20 ~ Number 23

Had to physch myself to post today. As it gets closer to Christmas I'm getting more and more sad about the fact that this is the first year in my life to be so far away with no family around. I hate that. I am not normally a sad person and I generally love Christmas. It's my choice to live her and it is paradise.


OK, enough of that. I am not going to whine.


Last Thursday it was 'Double Cruise Ship Day'. That means we had two cruise ships stop at the island. On those days I usually go and work the bazaar with my friend Iotha. It's fun. Kind of like a big party. I like haggleing with the tourists.


Anyway, I got pictures.


First up. The booth. That's Miss Iotha to the left in the long dress with the red hat. 




Here are some of the general bazaar;





The 'Mocko Jumbies' came to entertain and protect us all from the 'Jumbies" (evils spirits).




One cruise ship had come in very early in the morning (this is what they usually do), but the other was docking later in the day.




I have one more picture of the 'Mocko Jumbie', it wouldn't post before.




There is music blaring and people dancing. As I said earlier it's like a big street party, 'Cruzan Style'. Most of the music was Christmas music, but you had to listen close to recognize it. It's all played with either a calypso or reggae beat.


On these days when I work the cruise ships I am Cruzan. I like that.


This was yesterday's post, but we have been having big storms pass by the island. Lots of wind, big surf and poor Internet connection.


Tomorrow, I hope I'll be back. I have some pictures of the 'Edge of the World' to show you.


Still don't know where the commas go, not particularly sure where I am today either. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm here! over here, in gloomy Connecticut. I'm new to you so I have much catching up to do. First... where is this island? it looks so lovely~ why are you on this island? how long will you be on this island? curious monkeys want to know! :))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the bit of sun! It's gray and rainy here in southern Indiana. Plus I'm stuck inside with a sick little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green Monkey ~ My island is in the Caribbean. I'm here because I have the soul of a gypsy and this is where I'm supposed to be at the particular point in my life. Who knows how long I'll be here. It's different every place we go. When it's time to move on, I'll know.

    Christine~ Glad it could brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you meet some interesting people. And the guy on the stilts is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As many cruise ships as my wife's been on she's probably been on your island before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex - The Mocko Jumbies are incredible. Maybe one day I can get some video.I don't know how they walk around let alone dance.You should see them move through the crowds on the dock.

    DL- probably. We are not a big Cruise destination. I'm on St.Croix. St. Thomas, due north of us is the bigger stop. We are known for our oil refinery. Imagine that are finery in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not spending time with family over Christmas either. I got enough of them at Thanksgiving that I'm not making the trip again until Mother's Day. Just so we are on the same page, my mother is very old and has lost her mind. Spending half a week there is just too much. It's draining. But my dad doesn't want to put her in a home. If it were up to me, she'd be there already. Does that make me a bad person? I dunno. But you spend 8-hours in a room with someone who has lost their mind and tell me if you wouldn't put them in a home.

    For what it's worth, Merry Christmas. And I wish I was on a cruise instead of shivering in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to your feeling sad. I will be with my family for Christmas, but then am leaving for Mexico. come back in January for two weeks to wrap things up... and then it's Mexico full time for me. I'm excited! It's beautiful and warm there...and my love is there. But I'm also sad for leaving my family behind. I will visit them often though. Have a great holiday! LOve the photos.

    ReplyDelete