Sunday, September 15, 2013

BATTLE OF THE BANDS IV


It’s the fifteenth of the month already (YIKES!). You know what that means don’t you? It’s time for another BATTLE OF THE BANDS (BOTB). This will be number four. The other two parties to this contest The Debonair Mr. Arlee Bird and  The smartest man I know Stephen T. Mccarthy and I decided on a theme for this particular battle. Since I’m always a day late and a dollar short, I bet you already know the theme, but I’ll tell you again anyway. It’s HAIR. I almost posted a picture of myself and my hair because it’s one of thing I got a lot of, but then I thought better of it. Anyway…let’s get on to the contest.

The three of us decided which song from this iconic musical we would let battle it out in advance and I chose “Aquarius’. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to use the song from the original Broadway production or the movie, but I love the accompanying scenes in the movie so much, that’s the way I’m gonna go. So here’s the first selection Aquarius from the movie soundtrack ‘Hair’.



Next up the ‘HIT’ version of the same song. Sit back and enjoy the melodious sound of marvelous Marilyn and the Fifth Dimension.



Now you know the drill. Vote for your favorite in the comment box and tell me why. Once you’ve done that hop on over to my partners in crime cohorts in this endeavor Stephen t. Mccarthy and Arlee Bird, see what they’ve chosen for you and vote there also.

If you’re one of the many hopping onto this war wagon, please say so in the comment box, so that everyone can find their way to your space and vote for your selection also.

One more time here are the rules that accompany the contest hosted by myself, Stephen T. McCarthy and Arlee Bird –

Find The True Purpose For Voting On ‘Battle Of The Bands’ Installments: Win Compact Discs!-Compact Discs!-Compact Discs! Spectacular, Super-Colossal Blogosphere ‘Battle of The Bands’ Voting Contest!

Here’s The Deal: By voting on the ‘Battle Of The Bands’ blog bits here and at the ‘Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends’ blog, you can win the compact disc of your choice. Every 4 months, Stephen and I will add up how many times you voted on our blogs, and the person who has participated most often (i.e., submitted the most eligible votes) will get to select one compact disc that contains any one of the songs that were included in either of our ‘Battle Of The Bands’ installments (“Super-Colossal” expensive boxed-sets, imports, and ‘out-of-print’ compact discs not included). In the event of a tie, the names will be put in a Stetson and the name drawn from the cowboy hat will win the CD.

Rules For Voting: Stephen and I post new ‘Battle Of The Bands’ blog bits on the 1st and 15th of each month. We also post our own personal votes for the respective blog bits on the 7th and 21st of each month (i.e., six days later). For your vote to be counted, it must be submitted in our comment sections BEFORE we post our own votes (BEFORE we make our own votes known on the 7th and the 21st).

Every 4 months there will be a new compact disc winner. In other words, ‘Battle Of The Bands’ #1 was posted on August 1, 2013, so at the end of November, one of you lucky voters is going to win a CD that includes one of the songs we’ve featured in our ‘Battle Of The Bands’ installments (you get to choose, and it doesn’t matter if the song won or lost its battle – if you like it, it’s YOURS!)

Alright, now... VOTE ON and ROCK ON! (while we ‘Count On...’)


I’ll be back on the 21st to let you know my choice and the outcome of this BATTLE.

14 comments:

  1. I am also posting a BOTB challenge on my site for anyone who would like to participate.

    I like the second one better. The main singer's voice is so smooth and lovely and the back-up singers provide excellent harmony. Really gorgeous arrangement... So I vote for Marilyn and the 5th Dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second one has almost a 70's vibe to it. It puts me in mind of the theme song to a television show, like The Love Boat or something.
    I'm more familiar with the movie version, so that one gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smartest man you know... Ha!
    FAE, you really need to get out, meet some folks!

    Well, I have a natural affinity for really good harmonizing vocal groups, and that's why The 5th Dimension has been one of my very, very favorites for an awful long time. The Beach Boys, The Mamas And The Papas, Spanky And Our Gang, The Carpenters, Simon & Garfunkel, and The 5th Dimension... I love them all.

    Ironically, however, even though it was T5D's biggest hit, I could name a whole passel of T5D songs I prefer to 'Aquarius'. I do like their version (all that good cheer they sing with, and the bass line in 'Let The Sunshine In' is pretty damned cool!), but I don't LOVE it the way I do some of their other, lesser known songs.

    The version from the (fantastic) movie 'HAIR' is appealing to me. It's sung more with "gusto" than "cheer" (both are positives). I really dig those funky guitar licks and the horn charts are tremendous!

    99 out of 100 times, if you put a song by T5D up against the same song by just about ANYONE else, I would vote for T5D. But this is that one out 100 times that I'm going to vote for "the other".

    It kinda hurts me a little bit to vote against T5D, but I gotta be true to myself and vote my honest ears.

    So much for being the smartest man you know, eh?

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never saw Hair, and so am familiar with the Fifth Dimension version....so I am giving them my vote.

    At this point, I will never see hair as I feel it is a slur against the follicly challenged.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2nd one gets my vote, even though it has a brady bunch feel lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for the Fifth Dimension.

    It's the one I'm familiar with, and the other version seems to rely on the visuals to make it more powerful than the staged second version. Never saw the movie version or the play.


    ReplyDelete
  7. So far I'm lovin' all of your comments.

    'Brady Bunch 'Sound and 'Follicly Challenged' had me on the floor.

    STMC - Ha, ha, ha! I get out plenty, and since a lot of my friends have it Piled Higher and deeper, that's really saying something. I see Mr. Bird easily accepted being called 'debonair'. Ha!

    Now, I need to shut it before I blabber on and give you some hint to my favorite choice.

    FEI - (For Everybody's Information) - Larry at DiscConnected also posted a BOTB, even though he didn't own up to it here in the comment section. Go on over and vote at his site too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't decide so I cranked up the volume and did "The Carlton" to each of these. The first one felt good, but the second one felt amazing. Like I was on top of the world. Definitely 5D.

    Feel free to use my scientific measurement of song enjoyment for future BotBs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm voting for the 5th Dimension, but I like the movie version so much, I'm thinking maybe I should look for that movie. (Probably wouldn't be to my hubby's liking, but he could take a nap while I'm watching it.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's hard. I like the arrangement on the second one more, but I like the video and passion behind the first one more. Maybe I better bow out and not vote this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FAE & LEE -

    Well, you three really have me perplexed with all this Hair stuff. I voted my curmudgeonly vote on the F-FFF site.

    I am going to do all the rest of the voters a favor (allowing them one competitor closer to winning the CD) by NOT VOTING.

    I dislike both songs. I hate "Hair"! Give me "Oklahoma" or "My Fair Lady."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also:
    I didn't want to NOT comment after you and Lee graciously opened up your comment sections to people without OpenID such as myself. Thanks, even if I am unable to choose this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAIR all the way. You can feel the passion and the anger, the tension and the freedom from the song.

    To all who haven't seen it, really should at least just once great movie, great choreography, and fun!!! Sad though it ends.

    Beer Boys need to post video of scientific measurement.

    ReplyDelete