Saturday, December 7, 2013

AND THE WINNER OF BOTB IX IS...





Time to announce the winner of BATTLE OF THE BANDS IX.
 


I have to tell you, I was surprised by all of the 'Celine hate' exposed in this BATTLE. Wow! Even the two of you who voted for her had a somewhat negative side to your comment. On the other hand, almost without exception everyone of you seemed to think this was a very special song. I definitely agree with you there.
 

I find it interesting that when you start to look up Christmas music is seems that Bing Crosby has covered just about every song out there from the spiritual to the secular. He does have a nice mellow tone that lends itself easily to so many of these great songs. I'm also fond of most of his old movies (where BTW he so often seemed to play a priest - or it that simply what he's most remembered for) it just isn't Christmas until I've sat down and watched 'White Christmas. He certainly was popular in this particular BATTLE.
 

Now to Celine. More than once someone expressed the feeling that Celine was just showing off what her voice could do.  I think someone even called it 'voice acrobatics'. On one hand I have to agree with you, but on the other I have to say; 'if you've got it, flaunt it'. What a shame  it would be if she didn't expose us  everything marvelous pipes can do. I suppose the same people who think she's showing off her assets, also think that Dolly Parton should wear nothing but muumuus so as not to ah...er...flaunt her assets. Anyway...
 

Personally I've never been a big Celine fan. I only own one CD of hers ('These are Special Times', her Christmas album) and that was a gift. I never understood what all the fuss was about. I really didn't think she was so great that a special room was built in Las Vegas especially for her to perform in, but she sure did pack em in. BUT, in this BATTLE she gets my vote. Everything about this piece just shouts praise to me. It seems this is the way these Christmas hymns should be presented. Now don't get me wrong I also enjoy Bing's straight forward more mellow version, but in this case I think Celine's flaunting of her vocal range lends itself perfectly to this stirring melody and words of adoration. In then end even with my vote the totals are strongly in favor of Mr.  Crosby:       

        Bing Crosby     10 votes
        Celine Dion        3 votes (including mine)
 

It would seem that you guys are more the straight forward, mellow types. Well this was one of those times when there really wasn't a 'wrong' vote. How could there be with such a beautiful song.
 

Now check out some of the other sites to see how the voting went on their BATTLES. And come on back on the 15th for BATTLE OF THE BANDS X and some more Christmas Cheer!

7 comments:

  1. I agree about if you've got it, flaunt it. Why not, right.

    If I had to pick only one, I'm sure I would have picked Bing. :) Nothing at all against Celine though. :) I just love his voice. Well, I guess I love hers too, but I listen to him more, especially at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She just doesn't sing music I listen to. Nothing against her voice. Perhaps she was caught in the backlash against Titanic since she had the movie's hit that was overplayed to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celine can sing fine, just hurts the ears of the feline lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't hate Celine. I just didn't care for this song, BUT that doesn't mean it was bad. It's all about personal taste.

    You are right about Bing and Christmas. He has covered nearly every song I have looked up while considering these Christmas songs for BOTB. That is quite a feat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAE ~
    This may have been the first time I ever heard Celine Dion sing. You know me, pretty far outside of the 'Current Day Loop'.

    But I had heard OF her, of course, and I know that at one time, some years back, she was hugely popular. Now it seems all I hear about her are negative remarks. I have no idea what caused the turnaround. (Reminds me of The Eagles - they were a huge band with tons of hits and then one day suddenly it was very "in" to hate them. It left me wondering who was buying all those Eagles albums when they were constantly in the Billboard Top 40.)

    Maybe Celine just became too popular and the Green-Eyed Monster started biting people. I dunno.

    I thought she had a great voice and I didn't mind the "acrobatics", except that once or twice it sounded, to these ears, more like "show" than "heart". But overall, I thought it was a very good version of the song. Not my favorite version but one I wouldn't mind hearing played regularly during the Christmas season.

    This was a good match-up despite the whoopin' Celine took. I think the voting should have been closer.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Celine and even have a few of her albums, but she does get a bit showy sometimes.

    And now whenever I think of Celine I think of a joke I once heard:

    Celine Dion walks into a bar.

    The bartender asks, "Why the long face?"


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out


    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, love it :) I love the first pic, its making me hungry ;)

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy>

    ReplyDelete