Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Holidays- The more Obscure the Better


Hi Guys, I’m back. Holy Carp, I have not been that sick in a long time. I’m listening to Tom Petty sing ‘You Don’t Know How It Feels” and today I say that’s a good thing. But anyway…Tom also says ’let’s get to the point…

It’s almost summer. The Summer Solstice is officially in two days, so what are you doin’ to celebrate. Me, I haven’t decided yet, but heading out to the ‘end of the world’ (Point Udall) to look for the ’Southern Cross’ is high on my list.

This got me to thinking about Summer Holidays in some of the places that I have lived. Here in the VI we celebrate Emancipation Day and Alexander Hamilton Day (AH Day might not actually be in the summer, but what the heck it’s always summer here). When I lived in Idaho we celebrated Pioneer Day and had a big Atomic Days (don’t ask) Rodeo up in Arco. In Colorado (my favorite) we had the Heeny Tick Festival in Heeny, Co up on Green Mountain Reservoir. Breckenrigde had it’s “No Man’s Land Days’ to celebrate the time when it was left off the map and not included in the US (Probably more rural myth than truth, but a great celebration none the less). And my all time favorite the ‘Get Yer Ass up the Pass’ Fairplay to Leadville Pack Burro Rack. Back in Chicago, there was the Bud Billikin Parade and Picnic in August. (Go ahead google this one)

Just goes to prove, you don’t have to dig very deep and you’ll find just about every place on the globe has their own special reason to party. So what is it where you live? Come on fess up to your particular obscure holiday and don’t forget the Summer Solstice.


18 comments:

  1. haha i can't think of one--so i will have to try and start a new one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in southern Indiana. I can't think of one for here, but we have our local Food Fair this Saturday. It's a big do here in town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm in Massachusett's which has plenty of holidays, but we don't necessarily celebrate many of them. The only one I can think of in the summer is Bunker Hill Day (which I would've had work of it were on a weekday). Anyway, Clamfest is pretty cool I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in sw washington and i don't know if we have one - boo. I'm with Lynn, though, and will just start a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're feeling better! Well, there's Independence Day on March 2, celebrating Texas's Declaration of Independence from Mexico. That is certainly unique to this state.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Faraway! Glad you feel better.
    Can't think of an obscure holiday here. I'll probably celebrate the solstice by mowing the lawn. Yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that song and K&TG! Hmmm...where I used to live they had Bean Hole days and pretty much just served baked beans. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure we have something like that, but I'm ignorant of it. Not very big on festivities like that.

    But when I lived in New Orleans and they had Mardi Gras...that was different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just finished celebrating the bicentennial of the War of 1812. But that was pretty much a national thing here in Canada. Low key, but national.

    Locally, Jazz Festival kicks off in a few days. City will be all jazzed up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, here in this state we celebrate 'NADA DAYS', which is a reflection of our Hispanic and Dumb-Ass American heritage.

    On 'NADA DAYS', everyone goes downtown, drinks cerveza and tequila, and exhibits for all the world to see how little we know about U.S. history and the Constitution.

    In other words, we get drunk and act like typical American asses.

    It's a blast and a good time is had by all as we dance our way to hell. Everyone shouting: "We don't know NADA! Have another drink!"

    Even I participate because, as the saying goes, "When in Rome,..."

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just had our Summerfest celebration here, and one of our sister cities has The Freedom Festival the week of July 4th. Another city has Strawberry Days. I'm just glad I don't live in the one that celebrates Onion Days. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are feeling better!

    At the Jersey Shore, (it's not very nice) but at the end of the summer, we celebrate everyone leaving. They even drop banners over the Parkway, saying "Bennies Go Home" Everyone has a party, and it is wildly celebrated around here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh the rednecks of Idaho...

    I apologize if you used to be/or are one of them.

    Anyway...in my opinion, you are in a much better place. Sandy Downs in Idaho Falls pales in comparison to the aquamarine of the Caribbean.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do believe you named all of the good Colorado ones, of which I have not been to the Heeny Tick Festival. It's not a celebration of ticks and lime disease, is it? Because that doesn't sound like much of a celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you're feeling better.

    We have a duck race here, and other sporting events. Rodeos. Mostly, whenever the whether is not, we run outside. Because it's not that warm here most of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I'd never heard of any of yours. Mine aren't nearly that interesting. We have pioneer day in Utah, which tends to be bigger than Independence day. In my specific city we have Days of Ogden in the summer as well. Why, you ask? Well I'll tell you!...I don't know... :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are some quirky holidays you've celebrated! Especially AH Day haha... he certainly was an interesting founding father.

    Came to check out your Roarin' Twenties Poetry Blogfest entry but you must be busy...thanks anyway for signing up to participate. Hope you're doing well and that you have a great start to your summer!

    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. YOU DIDN'T MENTION ULER FEST! sp? One of my childhood favorites was always amazed of everyone freezing and the massive ice sculptures.

    ReplyDelete