Monday, October 26, 2015

Hey I'm Listing - THE LISTING BLOG HOP






Today is the day for the ‘Listing Blog Hop’ hosted by Bish Denham and Alex J Cavanaugh; you can find them HERE and HERE respectively. I trust they will have the linky list up, so that you can visit the other participants and see just what type of lists they have posted.

A few weeks ago Mr. Stephen T. McCarthy of HERE ran a post inviting all to submit to him a list of their twenty-five 25 all-time favorite movies. He asked us to list the TOP TEN first and then the next fifteen. (He is taking these lists up until the end of the month, so you can still participate. Just send him your list or a notice of when and where you post it on your blog.) When I came across this ‘Listing Blog Hop’, I figured it was perfect timing to combine the two and give you a list of MY twenty-five 25 all-time favorite movies.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND, this list is not my idea of the twenty-five greatest movies of all-time, but rather my guilty pleasures. In other words the movies I watch over and over again for various reasons. Some of them make me cry, some of them make me laugh, some I relate to for a whole bunch of personal reasons, and some are just good pure entertainment, in my opinion

There may be some that you agree with, and there may be some that you are left shaking your head over, but if there are some that you haven’t seen, add them to your Netflix list or check ‘em out on VUDU, I think you just might find a few that you’ll enjoy.

You will notice that there are some actors that appear in many of my favorites and there are some movies that have a similar theme, i.e. I like Westerns and musicals. Oh well, let’s get to the list, shall we?

First the TOP TEN. I have listed them in order of my preference (all the way through to twenty-five).

Life is Beautiful – 1997, this movie stars Roberto Benigni, Nicoletta Braschi, and Horst Bucholz(as Dr. Lessing). A theme in many love stories is ‘would you die for someone’. Here in Life is Beautiful the theme is more like ‘how far would you go to live for someone’. A beautiful story that I first say in Italian with sub-titles and it moved me and made me cry. When I later saw it re-dubbed n English, absolutely nothing was lost.

Captain Ron – 1992, this movie stars Kurt Russell and Martin Short. It never ceases to make me laugh and having lived in the Caribbean, I can attest some of it is actually true. I can quote from this one all day long.   
It’s A wonderful Life – 1946 starring Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, and Lionel Barrymore. If you haven’t seen this movie, shame on you. It’s a  favorite at Christmastime, but I generally manage to watch it two or three time a year, at least.

The Quiet Man – 1952 starring John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara and Barry Fitzgerald. This is another one everyone should see at least once. I absolutely love John Wayne and when he’s paired with Maureen O’Hara you can bet there will be sparks and magic a flying.

The Magnificent Seven – 1960 starring Yul Brenner Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Eli Wallach and Horst Buchholz. Yep, it’s a Western and one of exceptional quality. Imagine Horst Buchholz appearing in two of my top ten favorite movies. I bet you don’t even know who he is.

Meet Me In St Louis – 1944 starring Judy Garland, Margaret O’Brien and Mary Astor. This is an oldie but a goodie. It spans a year in the lives of this family in St Louis waiting and planning on attending the World’s Fair. Some really great songs came out of it.

Friendly Persuasion – 1956 starring Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire, and Anthony Perkins. A story about Quakers set in the time of the Civil War. Believe it or not there are some hilarious moments and some very serious ones.

Lady and the Tramp - 1955 I love Disney, at least the old Disney, but this one is my favorite. As a matter of fact I was so movied by this movie that I have had several Cocker spaniels as Pets. At one time I had two Cocker Spaniels and a cat names, Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts. 100 points to anyone who knows that reference.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - 1988 starring Bob Hopkins, Christopher Lloyd and Joanna Cassidy. What a show this one is. Combining animation and real life actors in a seamless manner. Is there anything Christopher Lloyd hasn’t had his hand in that wasn’t all out funny.

Golden Earrings – 1947 starring Ray Milland and Marlene Dietrich. Ya it’s the gypsy in my soul that has me coming back to this one over and over again. Certainly a very different kind of love story.

OK, there’s my TOP TEN, now the next fifteen.

Casablanca – 1942 starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Raines, and Sydney Greenstreet. Do I really have to tell you much about this classic. ‘At least we’ll always have Paris.’

Paint Your Wagon – 1969 starring Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood and Jean Seberg. Yep, another musical and a Western to boot. This movie was a great big flop. Are you kidding me. Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood in a musical; how innovative is that?

Chocolat – 2000 starring Johnny Depp, Juliette Binoche, and Judy Dench. This is a REAL guilty pleasure for me on many levels. Johnny Depp and Chocolate, need I say more?

Miracle on 34th Street – 1947 starring Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Haraq and Natalie Wood. OK, it’s a Christmas story and a favorite at that time of year, but truth be told, I’ve been known to sneak in a visit with Santa in April and July.

The Ten Commandments – 1956 starring Charlton Heston, and Yul Brenner. Another seasonal favorite that I watch year round. You can beat Chuck as Moses, no matter that The Bible tells us Moses had a speech impediment (probably a stutter) Heston commands the sea to part and is does.

Pride and Prejudice – 2005 starring Keira Knightly, Matthew Macfadyn and Donald Sutherland. Always a fan of this story, but not of the earlier movies. When this one was made I almost passed it up, but am glad I didn’t. The characterizations are perfect.

Bringing Up Baby – 1938 starring Cary Grant, and Katherine Hepburn. Not a big Katie fan, but in this one she is hilarious and so is Grant.

Charade – 1963 starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. I am a fan of this Hepburn and she is marvelous with the suave Mr. Grant.

North by Northwest – 1959 starring Cay Grant, Eva Marie Saint and James Mason. Yeah, I’m a Cary Grant fan. This Hitchcock thriller also stars ‘the heads’ (it’s what the locals in So. Dakota call Mt Rushmore). I almost moved to the butt side of ‘the heads’ once.

Tombstone – 1993 starring Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott and Bill Paxton. I was only introduced to this movie a few years ago, but it has become a favorite and I watch it often. A western that can’t be beat.

Parenthood – 1989 starring Steve Martin, Mary Steenburgen, Diane, Wiest and Rick Moranis. This movie is hilarious and serious at the same time. Many truth exist therein for all generations. When my kids were driving me crazy, I would pop this into the VCR or DVD and feel a whole lot better about myself as a parent.

Mermaids – 1990 starring Cher, Bob Hoskins, and Winona Ryder. Another movie about an unconventional family that is serious and hilarious at the same time. Very relevant, at least to me.

Donavan’s Reef – 1963 starring John Wayne and Lee Marvin. Wayne, Marvin and Hawaii, need I say more. I could watch this one every month, but then I’ve already told you I love John Wayne and lee Marvin, both real men.

Backdraft – 1991 starring Kurt Russell, William Baldwin and Robert De Niro. I come from a cop and fireman family. Those two professions seem to run in families, generation after generation. This movie also takes place in my hometown and it’s one where they got it right, complete with the correct accent. Did I also mention how much I like Kurt Russell?

The Holiday – 2006 starring Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law and Jack Black. As you’ve probably noticed most of my favorites are older, some really old. This is the newest one on the list and I really enjoy it on a regular basis. Not exactly sure why, but I likes it.

Well, there you have it. A list of MY twenty-five all-time favorite movies, my guilty pleasures, if you will. I suppose this list tells you more about me than I normally like to reveal, but what the heck. It’s all in good fun.

Now go check out some of the other lists. I’ll bet there are a few others who also did a twenty-five favorite movies as a part of Mr. McCarthy’s survey somewhere in that ole linky list.

I would love to hear what you have to say about my favorites and if you agree or have even heard of any of these great movies.

I'll be back on November 1st with another BATTLE OF THE BANDS, until then Happy Trails!




34 comments:

  1. Do I get to play in that "Lily, Rosemary, and The Jack Of Hearts" game?

    HA! You know I know... so I'll leave it for someone else to "out" 'em.

    Gotta go to bed, but I'll be back later with much more extensive commentary.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually figure you might be the only one who would know. Had I never told you about those critters before? Well, maybe not, I was only just reminded last night when I was putting the finishing touches on this list, and yes I did proof it (several times), but this is what happens when you burn the candle at both ends. I'll await your further comments - I did see what you said about my list at your own space, I agree my list of preferences changes with my mood, but for the most part this is it (on my most sane days, at least).' Life is Beautiful' never moves out of the number one slot though, that movie says so much to me.

      Delete
  2. Tombstone! I'll be your Huckleberry...
    Thanks for participating in the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some absolutely great lines in Tombstone. 'Then again you may be the anti-Christ'.I've actually stayed in the old Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, that used to be the sanatorium where the Doc died, and seen his gravesite.

      Delete
  3. I love the Kiera Knighly version of Pride & Prejudice. And my family loved to watch Roger Rabbit when we were kids.

    Love your selections!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for listing with me! What a wonderfully eclectic list of movies. Of course I've seen most of them. I LOVE Who Framed Roger Rabbit... "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Paint Your Wagon, Casablanca, Chocolate! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been an incredibly fun Hop for me. I enjoyed putting my list together and reading the others. Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  5. PS, The link to your blog on my list isn't working... I don't know how to fix it. Maybe you can re-enter your link?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have yet to see Captain Ron, have to get on that. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was awesome indeed. Lots of great ones on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. Do take the time to see 'Captain Ron', it's a lot of fun.

      Delete
  7. I don't like musicals at all, but I liked Paint Your Wagon. It was funny. Plus it had Clint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of those I've never seen AND I recently got rid of my TV so I will stream them and enjoy them during this long winter ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd forgotten all about Chocolat, and that was an excellent movie. I think I need to rewatch it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best Soundtracks around, but who can argue with that gypsy jazz of Django Reinhart.

      Delete
  10. Some excellent films here--you have a few that appear on my list as well. As far as Pride and Prejudice my wife and I went on a P&P binge a few years ago and watched every version I could find. I think the 1940 version enlightened me the most, was the one I found most entertaining (and funny), and captured what may have been the true spirit of the book the best. I thought the 1995 mini-series was truest to the story told in the book. All versions were enjoyable in their own right.

    I did my movie list a few weeks ago and linked to it today. I don't know if you saw my list or not--I don't remember you leaving a comment on it. I think that was when you were sick.

    By the way, have you watched the dubbed version of Life Is Beautiful? I've got the DVD that has both versions, but I can't bring myself to watch it dubbed into English. Such a great film! I think I need to break it out and watch it again.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the message of 'Life is Beautiful' in any languag, and have seen both.


      As for P & P, I never card for the movies until this one that I listed. I felt they really captured the essence of the story and characters..

      Delete
  11. I've seen a handful of your movies. I really liked P&P too. I echo Southpaw and Chocolat. It's been a while since I've seen that one and need to watch it again. There was a bit in The Holiday when the Kate Winslet character was out to dinner with the old man and he told her she was leading lady material but acting like the best friend. She needed to start acting like the leading lady. That stuck with me. We all should be the lead in our own lives, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of great insights in 'The Holiday', I really liked the segments with Kate and Eli, and Kate and Jack made such a cute couple, who woulda thought Jack Black could pull that off.

      Chocolat, yeah that's a real guilty pleasure - Johnny Depp, chocolate and that soundtrack. I may have to watch it later tonight, just for the sheer pleasure.

      Delete
  12. Never heard of the Captain Ron so will have to check it out! I'm also going to check out the movie list you mentioned. Great idea! Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good list. I've seen a fair amount of these, though not the real old ones or westerns. For a while I wanted to get into watching some of these real old movies, but I've never been inspired enough. But I do have a few oldies I have watched and enjoyed. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, "NO WIRE HANGERS!!", Sunset Boulevard, "Alright Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up". Well, those are a few I can think of at the top of my head. I'll be doing my movie list soon. Perhaps these will be on the list. Or not. You'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw Lady and the Tramp at the drive in when I was about 10. Roger Rabbit is a kick too. I loved Mermaids, though it is one I never thought to enjoy. Kurt Russel makes an awesome fireman :)

    Lot of great memories for me in this list of movies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lot of Kurt Russell there. You like his Nighthawks with Stallone?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen a few of these, like Backdraft and some of the classics. I went through Hitchcock movie phase for awhile.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen maybe about four of these movies that I can remember. My mother was the movie buff in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great list of movies, I've seen most of them, and a few I wouldn't mind seeing again. Guilty pleasures are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Are my eyes really blue?" Love Casablanca and all the one liners. We share a lot of the same movies. I made 2 posts one this past Friday (my last 15) and the top 10 the Friday before that. It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite film! Of course I know who Horst Buchholz is! Gotta love the German in an American western (Evere see One, Two, Three?). It was so hard to bring it down to 25 films because many you list here are on my list but some aren't (Like the Magnificent 7 and the 10 Commandments). Glad Miracle on 34th Street is here and The Quiet Man since Maureen O'Hara just passed away. I also love John Wayne and Kurt Russell was great as Earp although I have a soft spot for Sam Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do love me some guilty pleasures! So many great movies on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some of those would definitely be on my top 25 (whenever I get around to making *that* list)—maybe even my top 10. North By Northwest, for sure. And Casablanca might actually be a good contender for #1 :)

    Great list, FAE. See you Sunday for the BoTB!
    Guilie @ Quiet Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've got many great films on that list. It makes me want to have more time to watch some of them again...

    ReplyDelete