Thursday, May 1, 2014

BATTLE OF THE BANDS XIX 'One Kinda Moody Guy'








Before we get onto BATTLE OF THE BANDS XIX, I want to back track to my RESULTS post for BATTLE OF THE BANDS XVIII. Do you remember that I promised you a surprise? Well…

SURPRISE! Back on August 1, 2013, Mr. Stephen T. McCarthy and I aired the first ever BATTLE OF THE BANDS (well, at least our first ever). Once we set up the concept, we also decided to make it a contest. At that time we stated that we would begin a new contest period every four months. At the end of November, 2013, we had our first winner – C.W. Martin,   BUT we never started the contest up again. (Not totally surprising considering one of us is an old codger, and the other a dumb blonde). Anyway… After a total of nine months in play, Mr. McCarthy and I have decided to run a SECOND BATTLE OF THE BANDS ‘contest’ brought to you by the originators of BATTLE OF THE BANDS. 

Here’s how it’s gonna work. Everyone who comments will have up to eight possible entries. Vote once here at Far Away Series (FAS) on May 1 and May 15 on each BATTLE OF THE BANDS post and once at  Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends on May 1 and May 15 on each BATTLE OF THE BANDS post. Then come back on the 7th and 21st and leave a comment here on Far Away Series in my BATTLE OF THE BANDS RESULTS POST and return to Mr. McCarthy’s original BATTLE OF THE BANDS POST and leave a comment after ‘HIS OWN VOTE’ HAS BEEN RECORDED AND THE WINNER ANNOUNCED. If you VOTE at each site you will receive four (4) entries into the contest AND if you return and comment at (FAS) RESULTS post and comment at F-FFF (Mr. McCarthy’s site) after his “VOTE’ comment you will receive another four (4) entries for a possible total of eight (8) entries = 8 chances to win. On May 31st, we will drop all of the entries into a hat and draw one.  The winner will be announced on June 1, 2014 at BATTLE OF THE BANDS XXI.


What can you win? After careful consideration it has been decided that we will be giving away an all-expenses paid vacation to spend either a week in lovely Phoenix, AZ or Lake Tahoe, NV with the your respective hosts Far Away Eyes or Stephen T. McCarthy    - JUST KIDDING!!! Seriously now, we will be giving away a CD of your choice, as long as it contains one of the songs featured on any BATTLE OF THE BANDS posted at Far Away Series or Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends. (Super expensive imports or Boxed Sets NOT included.) To make it even more interesting and to honor the origination of BATTLE OF THE BANDS you may go all the way back to that first BATTLE on August 1, 2013 to make your selection.

KEEP IN MIND this contest will only run for the month of MAY and votes will ONLY be counted from FAR AWAY SERIES and FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS. But, we encourage you to visit and vote at the sites of ALL THE PARTICIPANTS in BATTLE OF THE BANDS (links for other possible participants can be found at Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends ) cause that’s what makes this such a ‘party’.

Now onto my choices for BATTLE OF THE BANDS XIX:

When I was making my list (of potential BATTLES) and checking it twice, I had a stroke of nostalgia/nightmare, thinking about an old boyfriend. YIKES! 

You know how a lot o’ folks have a song that they think is ‘their song’. This guy’s song is the one I’ve settled on for today. I was never sure exactly why, because he really was more a moody sort of guy than a ‘Good Time Charlie’. Long story short, he and I broke up and he moved onto to seeing another woman named Janet. About a month later I met a guy, whose name I can’t remember for the life of me, BUT after he and I had been dating for about a month or so, I ran into a mutual friend who was having a hissy fit about my being with Steve (I just remembered his name). Anyway… the reason for mutual friends ‘hissy fit’ – he tells me Steve is Janet’s ex-husband. How weird is that? 

OK, I guess I better finish this story ‘cause it gets even weirder.  Several years later, I’m married to someone else and moving back to Colorado from Florida. It’s the middle of winter in a ski resort (think - there are no rentals available). A friend of a friend, tells me that they know of a townhouse that is a wreck. The owner is a divorced woman who lives in Rancho Mirage, CA, who doesn’t know what to do with the place. I get her name and number and it turns out to be none other than Janet. She rents me the townhouse in exchange for it being ‘fixed up’. My family and I get a free place to live, if we’re willing to invest a little ‘sweat equity’. Worked out good for all of us.

As a footnote; Janet tells me she and Bob (Good Time Charlie), are divorced and he is in the ‘witness protection program’ (Are you kidding me?). It seems he ratted out some fairly big drug dealers in the area. (I told you it got weirder)

I don’t know what possessed me to tell you guys all of that. Just file it under what I like to call the Y & S Syndrome (Young & Stupid) and a great big ole ‘WHAT WAS I THINKING?’

OK, enough of the nostalgia/nightmare.

First up is Danny O’Keefe, he’s the guy who wrote, and recorded this tune. He first recorded it in 1967 but never released it. Then it was recorded as a B-side to a record (if you don’t know what that means, Google it) by a group called The Bards. O’Keefe then recorded it in 1971 on his debut album. The following year he re-recorded it with a slower, more downbeat arrangement on his second album. The second version was released as a single and reached #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.



In 1984 a cover of this song by Leon Russell peaked at #63 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles.





Just about everybody and their dog have covered this song including Elvis, Willie, and Waylon. Those three versions are all great, BUT are not a part of this BATTLE. So cast your vote for either Danny or Leon and tell me why in the comment box.

Next, click your way on over to  Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends the home of Mr. Stephen T. McCarthy, where your vote will grant you more chances to win a CD. THEN, visit the other participants (links at STMc’s Place).

I’ll you back here on the 7th, with my vote and the results for this BATTLE. At that time you can leave another comment and gain another entry into the contest.

Sorry for yakking your ear off here. Sometimes I just don't know what gets into me.



32 comments:

  1. Since I don't like country music, that's a tough one. My vote goes to the first version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured this would be a tough one for those NON-country music fans, seeing as both of them kinda have a country flavor.

      Delete
  2. That story alone was worth the cost of entry. You know you've made bad choices in life when you end up in witness protection, and isn't it amazing how people can just float in and out of our lives in the most random of times?

    Like Alex, I'm not big on country, but the first one wins hands down. For some reason this song feels like it needs that twang and that harmonica. Without it, it just seems to lose its emotion. When I think of having the blues, I don't think of a wailing sax and "dentist office" music. That's right, I called the second one dentist office music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah some people do seem to float in and out of our lives and thank goodness for the floating out part, at least in this case.

      I'll bet ole Leon hasn't bee accused of making 'dentist office' music on very man occasions. I do agree that the harmonica adds to that lonely old train whistle feel of this song.

      Second vote for Danny O'Keefe

      Delete
  3. That story was pretty crazy. You should turn that into a novel. I can see a version of that story being made into a movie--and it could be a drama or a comedy--you could go either way with that one.

    Cool that you're doing the contest again. Forget the CD. I'd rather have the trip.

    I was prepared not to like the Leon Russell version even though I like Leon a lot. I just didn't think he'd do well with the song. I had no idea that he'd ever recorded a version. But the intro and the ongoing instrumental backing hooked me. I'm going to vote for Leon Russell.

    I agree it has kind of that dentist office music sound, but I think it's that kind of sound. But I still prefer the Russell version although the original is still good.

    Tough choice-- good match-up.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I outta write a book. Unfortunately, there are more stories like that one floating around in my past. On more than one occasion I've proven to be a real weirdo magnet.

      I'm sure Leon would thank you in person if he could. These two versions are kind of similar, but then so are all the others. I figured Elvis, Willie, or Waylon would have won hands down, so I veered away from them. I wonder what it would have looked like had I pitted Willie against Waylon. Nah, I would never do that.

      Delete
  4. The Danny O'Keefe version was more familiar but I liked Leon Russell's voice better for this song. I'm voting for Leon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First one has to be my pick. lol wow, that is sure some story. Crazy times, could write a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got ya down as a vote for Danny O'Keefe.

      I should write a book, shouldn't I. Only how do I protect the innocent, like myself?

      Delete
  6. O'Keefe gets my vote.
    I like his version and his voice. I would have voted for one of those guys who aren't in the running (Willie, Elvis or Waylon) .

    Interesting story, some tales of coincidences make one wonder. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured Elvis, Willie or Waylon wuld have won hands down - See my comment to Arlee Bird.

      Got you down for Danny O'Keefe.

      Unfortunately, I have more stories similar to this one floating around in my past. Is it me, or what?

      Delete
  7. Wow. That was some story FAE. As I listening to the lyrics of this song, I could actually see why Bob thought of this as "his song." When it hit the part about having too much fun and you might lose your life (or something like that) I laughed out loud. Apparently, Bob felt the need to actually live out this song for himself. The fact that YOUR LIFE came full circle with the CO home... just priceless. At least you can say that you were wiser than Janet. You took a pass on both Bob and Steve. I bet she wished she'd done the same.

    Now onto the song... I like O'Keefe version best. I didn't dislike Leon's version. It was perfectly fine. But, I really enjoyed the first one. I can't tell you why....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wiser than Janet - well maybe. At least I didn't end up with Bob YIKES! but do you have any idea what type of income bracket the folks who live in Rancho Mirage are in. Janet didn't do too bad for herself, but I have got to believe that came from someone other than Mr. witness Protection Program.

      /Got you down as a vote for Danny O'Keefe

      Delete
  8. My brain is not working well today. I am leaving out words on nearly every comment I make. This is one of the days I need to proofread my comments.

    As I WAS listening...

    I like THE O'Keefe version...

    Egads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad. surely you noticed all the different font styles, sized and colors in my post. I have no idea what that was about. I put it in all normal (only added the red) and this is the way it came out. I spent about an hour fighting with blogger trying to correct it to no avail. It was definitely 'one of those nights'.

      Delete
  9. Ha! That was one wild story, FAE!
    I've done some crazy things in my life, but at least I never wound up in the Witness Protection Program.

    I was all prepared to say that Waylon had also recorded a version of this song... until you beat me to it.

    Both versions are fairly similar. I mean the pace and the vocal styles. The instrumentation is a bit different but otherwise the arrangements are not drastically different.

    I like the song. And for me it's that old "Heavyweight Championship Fight" syndrome again. In order to beat the champ (or in this case, the original) and take his championship belt away from him, you have to win the bout CONVINCINGLY. For me, Leon's take on the song didn't do anything really noteworthy enough to dethrone the champ.

    My vote goes to Danny.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I have a hard time believing that story and I only gave you guys the 'cliff notes' version. It was beyond weird.

      See my comment to Arlee Bird. That would have been some match up, wouldn't it? I just couldn't have done that to the boys.

      I figured you would vote this way. I agree that there isn't a vast different in these two versions. Not like your BATTLE this month. WHOO WEE! Those two don't even sound like the same song. Oh, and just one more coincidence to add to the pile, eh?

      Delete
  10. I happen to have spent the last two days listening to my Leon Russell albums, so this really was not contest at all.

    Sorry, Danny....

    Leon gets my vote!

    LC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .I really like that old 'Shelter People' LP of Leon's. Actually I like Leon quite a bit. Saw him in person just a few years back and he put on a really good show, in a small intimate venue, for a big old Santa Clause kind a guy.

      Delete
  11. I knew that Leon had wrote the song, but never listened to his own take. Leon is one of those talents that I wish would have been on the radio a lot more than he was. I guess you know what the vote is, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got you down for Leon. According to Wiki (and you know about how far you can trust them - BUT it says the same thing on Danny O'Keefe's site) O'Keefe wrote this one.

      Delete
  12. What a wild and crazy story!

    Now, I love Leon, and I got to see him up close and personal at a local bar, just him and his piano, fabulous, but this version sounds too much like a lounge song or even...gasp, elevator music. It's Danny's version for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leon, so far he's been accused of dentist office music, a lounge song and now even elevator music. somehow I'll bet he wouldn't even care. This guy have been around so long and keeps reinventing himself.

      I too have seen him perform in a small intimate venue and he is great. I suppose that Danny's version just rings that familiar ole bell for a lot of folks.

      Yeah, one crazy story for sure. Unfortunately, I have more.

      Delete
  13. I'm pretty sure Danny O'Keef was the first artist I heard singing this song. A great favorite of mine. I liked them both, but I'll stick with Danny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny does seem to be the familiar favorite. come back on the 7th to see who actually pulls it off in this contest.

      Delete
  14. Stupid phone won't show the videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem with my phone. Apparently, it isn't as 'smart' as it thinks it is.

      Delete
  15. Danny O'Keefe hands down...never been a fan of Leon and you know I have been subjected to enough of it to know for a fact I not a big fan. This song needs the twang Danny delivers.

    "Johnny's" was the best though :)

    As for the story...what can I say wouldn't have you any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha,ha,ha! Yeah, I always knew you were NOT a Leon fan. Got you down for some 'twang'.

    Glad to hear you'll take me as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that philosophy because attitude IS everything.

    ReplyDelete