Thursday, December 15, 2011

December 15 ~ Number 21 Irie! We be havin' a Cruzan Christmas




Before we get to carried away, DO NOT FORGET tomorrow is the Deja Vu Blogfest. This should be a lot of fun. Can you guess which post I'm going to recycle. Tune in to see. Check out some of the other blogs and follow, follow, follow new people. Better yet,go over to that little badge, right over there to your right and click on it NOW. Sign up to participate yourself. It's free, it's easy, you will like it. I promise you will meet some new and exciting people. 


Also, I really don't want to tell you about this (I want more chances to win myself),but I promised I would. Cherie Reich is giving away critiques. Can you believe it! Go to www.cheriereich.blogspot.com scroll through to her post of 12/8 and fill out the form.You could win. Even though I hope it's really me.{a real 'geek' could probably post a link that would take you right to the contest page, but alas, I'm only half a geek. I'm workin' on it.}


 Last Saturday was the official kick of the Christmas Festival here on island. It starts with a Boat Parade in the Christiansted Harbor. Music is everywhere. Steel Pan bands on the corners and sound systems blaring from the boats and from the shore. It is a veritable surround sound of musical delights. Are you listening? 


Here we go:


The boats!
There were 23 boats in all and they each came around in the parade 3 or 4 times. One more than that. Everybody was having a good time.







We be dancin' and we be singin'. That be why my video is not so good.


The was a crowd of people on the wharf. It's always a wonder tome that nobody gets knocked into the drink.


Cruzans love to party. We be havin' a good time.


We topped the night off with dinner at a dockside restaurant, "Rumrunners". I had Local Lobster Salad and Conch fritters. I love Conch. The season is short now, because they have been over fished and they are being protected. You have to get 'em while you can. Yes - conch are the huge snails that come in those large beautiful shells that the tourists buy. Conch fritters, conch curry, conch chowder. I love it all!


Here's a song for you that is big here. I've posted it with the words, so you can see exactly what it's like to decipher 'Island speak'. It's English. Just not the English you're probably used to.




The Holidays are a little rough. This is the time of year when I miss my family, I even miss the 'High Country', but man oh man "I Love My Life".


Today I don't know and I don't care where the commas go.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast! There's nothing better than music to get you into that holiday spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a celebration. So vivid, so full. I love the song!

    ReplyDelete